Jennifer S. Elkayam’s practice focuses on complex commercial business matters, with an emphasis on intellectual property, antitrust and competition, and privacy and data security. Ms. Elkayam has successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state courts and mediations in a variety of business cases including business tort, antitrust and unfair competition, copyright, class action, and professional malpractice cases. She has counseled and advised corporate clients in antitrust and unfair competition compliance matters and has recently expanded her practice to include matters involving privacy law.
Ms. Elkayam serves on the Board of Directors for the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (LACLJ) and is Chair of the Development Committee. She is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and is an active member of the Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles.
- Representing medical device manufacturer against multinational corporation for alleged exclusive dealing and attempted monopolization of the diabetes monitoring product market.
- Representing largest independent California vend operator against internationally recognized chocolate manufacturer for alleged price discrimination and business torts.
- Represented paper bag distributor against dual distributor in action alleging price discrimination under California’s Unfair Practices Act.
- Represented marine products company in an antitrust action against horizontal bid-rigging and price-fixing conspiracy by competitors.
- Defended e-commerce company and manufacturer of proprietary make-up and skin care products against packaging vendor in breach of contract action.
- Represented putative class of California auto body shops against national insurance providers alleging a conspiracy to fix auto repair labor rates in violation of California’s Cartwright Act and unfair competition laws.
- Represented provider of temporary nursing services in antitrust price-fixing action against major hospitals in Arizona.
- Represented class of composers and owners of sound recordings against major television studios and distributors for failure to pay licensing fees in violation of federal copyright law.
- Represented online retailer of children’s books and toys in vertical price-fixing case against second largest discount retailer in the U.S.
- Defended a national motion picture movie theater chain against antitrust claims brought by competitor movie theater chain.
- Defended Taiwan-based manufacturer of golf equipment against competitor alleging business tort and unfair competition claims.
- The State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Central, Southern, Northern, and Eastern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
Honors and Distinctions
- Interscholastic Trial Advocacy Honors Program, Semi-Final Team, National Trial Competition (2005)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The State Bar of California, Antitrust, UCL & Privacy Section
- Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice, Board Member and Chair of Development Committee (2009-Present)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Antitrust and Unfair Business Practices and Entertainment and Intellectual Property Sections
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Los Angeles KnowledgeNet Chapter
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Federal Bar Association
- The Labor Market, chapter in California Antitrust & Unfair Competition Law (Revised), The Antitrust, Unfair Competition and Privacy Law Section of the State Bar of California (2014-2016) (co-editor of updated chapter)
- The Law and Economics of Noncompete Agreements, Competition Torts News, September 2016, Competition Torts Committee, Antitrust Law Section of American Bar Association