Maxwell M. Blecher
Maxwell M. Blecher, the founding partner of Blecher Collins & Pepperman, is renowned for his expertise in the antitrust field. He has litigated significant cases resulting in precedent-setting decisions in state and federal courts, including the U.S. and California Supreme Courts. He has testified before Congressional hearings; authored numerous articles on antitrust and civil litigation; and lectures extensively on antitrust and trial practice at programs sponsored by federal, state, and local bar associations.
Mr. Blecher is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and of the American Board of Trial Advocates. He served on President Carter’s National Commission for the Review of Antitrust Laws. In 1998 the California State Bar named him Antitrust Lawyer of the Year. Since 1995 he has been listed in Best Lawyers in America; profiled in Chambers USA Guide: America’s Leading Business Lawyers; and is one of 14 attorneys profiled in America’s Top Trial Lawyers. Mr. Blecher has also been featured in California Lawyer and Los Angeles Magazine as a leading California lawyer. He has argued over 60 state and federal appeals in his career. He has also authored numerous articles on antitrust and civil litigation in the following Journals, among others: UCLA Law Review; The George Washington Law Review; Southwestern University Law Review; The Antitrust Bulletin; Antitrust Law Journal; and Antitrust Law & Economics Review.
- Represented the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in its victory over the National Football League, permitting member teams to move from one location to another with competitor approval.
- Represented a group of 10 independent service operators in a precedent-shattering refusal to deal lawsuit against Eastman Kodak, resulting in a $72 million judgment for the plaintiffs.
- Represented Handgards in a suit against Johnson & Johnson, resulting in a sizable judgment for plaintiff, and producing a new body of antitrust law in connection with prosecuting patent litigation in bad faith.
- Successfully defended a motion picture exhibitor against charges brought by the U.S. Department of Justice that the defendant had monopolized motion picture exhibition in Las Vegas.
- Won a significant judgment charging malicious prosecution against a Texas-based oil company.
- Successfully prosecuted an antitrust case for one of the two inter-island carriers in Hawaii against the other.
- Successfully prosecuted a case for a reseller of long distance service against AT&T.
- Litigated numerous professional liability claims, both for plaintiffs and defendants involving alleged lawyer malpractice and alleged accounting malpractice, including defenses of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, and Greenberg Glusker Fields Claman & Machtinger LLP.
LLB., University of Southern California, 1955
B.A., DePaul University, 1953
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the Central, Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of California
U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii
U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
Honors and Distinctions
Amercian College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
Amercian Board of Trial Advocates, Fellow
Chambers and Partners, The USA’s Best Lawyers and Law Firms, 1995-2009
Southern California Super Lawyers, 2004 and 2006
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles Maynard Toll Award, 2006
Antitrust Lawyer of the Year, State Bar of California, 1988
America's Top Trial Lawyers: Who They are and Why They Win, Donald E. Vinson, 1994 (one of 14 lawyers selected)
Guide to the World's Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers, International Bar Association
National Commission for the Review of Antitrust Laws and Procedures, appointed by President Jimmy Carter, 1978-1979
Professional Associations and Memberships
State Bar of California, Antitrust, UCL & Privacy and Litigation Sections
American Bar Association, Chairman of Private Antitrust Litigation Committee, 1974-1976, Council, 1976-1977
American Judicature Society
Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Committee to Support Antitrust Laws
Federal Bar Association
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Antitrust and Unfair Business Practices Section