John E. Andrews
John Andrews is a partner with substantial experience in a wide range of complex contract and business tort litigations, with an emphasis in antitrust, trademark, trade dress, unfair competition, copyright, misappropriation of trade secrets, defamation and malicious prosecution claims. Mr. Andrews has appellate experience in both state and federal courts, with a number of reported decisions. His practice focuses on litigation involving the entertainment, publishing, healthcare, wholesale distribution, and telecommunications industries.
- Defended a major diesel engine manufacturer in an action alleging malicious prosecution of a patent infringement suit.
- Prosecuted an action under the Federal Communications Act against a major telecommunications company for discriminating against a reseller of long-distance services.
- Prosecuted several antitrust actions against professional sports leagues.
- Defended trademark infringement actions on behalf of merchandisers of sports memorabilia.
- Defended a major company in an action for alleged misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information and breach of a covenant not to compete.
- Defended a "palimony" suit on behalf of a successful businessman sued by a former fiance.
- Prosecuted a monopolization claim on behalf of a distributor of vintage automobile tires.
- Counseled a nationwide distributor of office supplies with respect to sales staff employment contracts and drafting enforceable covenants not to compete.
- ABC International Traders, Inc. v. Matsushita Electric Corp., 14 Cal. 4th 1247 (1997) (landmark decisions by the California Supreme Court construing California Unfair Practices Act)
- Lucas Automotive Engineering v. Bridgestone Firestone, Inc. , 140 F.3d 1228 (9th Cir. 1998) (claim for equitable relief under7 of the Clayton Act)
- Kolani v. Gluska, 64 Cal. App. 4th 402 (1998) (defense of action alleging breach of covenant not to compete, tortious interference and other claims)
B.A., magna cum laude, University of New Hampshire (1975)
J.D., Albany Law School, Union University (1982)
Managing Editor, Albany Law Review v. 46
Honorary Member, National Society of Writers on Legal Subjects
Bar and Court Admissions:
1982 State Bar of California
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
1986 State Bar of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
State Bar of California
American Bar Association
Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Association of the Bar of the City of New York