John E. Andrews
John Andrews is a partner with substantial experience in a wide range of complex contract and business tort litigation, with an emphasis in antitrust, trademark, trade dress, unfair competition, copyright, misappropriation of trade secrets, defamation, and malicious prosecution claims. Mr. Andrews has appellate experience in both state and federal courts, with a number of reported decisions. His practice focuses on litigation involving the entertainment, publishing, healthcare, wholesale distribution, and telecommunications industries.
- Defended a major diesel engine manufacturer in an action alleging malicious prosecution of a patent infringement suit.
- Prosecuted an action under the Federal Communications Act against a major telecommunications company for discriminating against a reseller of long-distance services.
- Prosecuted several antitrust actions against professional sports leagues.
- Defended trademark infringement actions on behalf of merchandisers of sports memorabilia.
- Defended a major company in an action for alleged misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information and breach of a covenant not to compete.
- Defended a "palimony" suit on behalf of a successful businessman sued by a former fiancé.
- Prosecuted a monopolization claim on behalf of a distributor of vintage automobile tires.
- Counseled a nationwide distributor of office supplies with respect to sales staff employment contracts and drafting enforceable covenants not to compete.
- ABC International Traders, Inc. v. Matsushita Electric Corp., 14 Cal. 4th 1247 (1997) (landmark decisions construing California Unfair Practices Act).
- Lucas Automotive Engineering v. Bridgestone Firestone, Inc., 140 F.3d 1228 (9th Cir. 1998) (claim for equitable relief under section 7 of the Clayton Act).
- Kolani v. Gluska, 64 Cal. App. 4th 402 (1998) (defense of action alleging breach of covenant not to compete, tortious interference, and other claims).
J.D., Albany Law School, 1982
Managing Editor, Albany Law Review
B.A., University of New Hampshire, magna cum laude, 1975
California, New York
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Ninth, and Tenth Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
Honors and Distinctions
Honorary Member, National Society of Writers on Legal Subjects
Professional Associations and Memberships
State Bar of California
American Bar Association
Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Association of the Bar of the City of New York