Courtney A. Palko
Courtney Palko is a Partner at Blecher Collins & Pepperman. Since joining the firm in 2004, she has worked on complex business litigation matters focusing on antitrust, intellectual property, and unfair competition law. She has also been involved in handling class action matters. Ms. Palko has been selected to the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 listings of Southern California "Super Lawyers" Rising Stars.
- Represented student-athlete class in White v. NCAA, a certified, antitrust class action alleging that the NCAA violated the federal antitrust laws by restricting amounts of athletic-based financial aid below the cost of attendance. The NCAA settled and paid an additional $218 million for use by current student-athletes to cover the costs of attending college, paid $10 million to cover educational and professional development expenses for former student-athletes, and enacted new legislation to permit Division I institutions to provide year-round comprehensive health insurance to student-athletes.
- Defended owner of professional sports team with respect to charges the league instituted against him under the league constitution and bylaws. Also defended owner in probate court proceedings and trial after his wife petitioned for approval of the sale of the team without his consent under trust provision relating to incompetence.
- Represented pay-TV subscribers in UCL claim against Time Warner Cable, Los Angeles Lakers, and Los Angeles Dodgers over the forced inclusion of three new channels devoted exclusively to those teams at a significant monthly price increase without subscriber consent and no opt out right. Drafted appellate briefs and petition for review. Argued at the California Court of Appeal.
- Represented putative national consumer class in Brantley v. NBC Universal, alleging that the cable distributors and TV programmers violated the federal antitrust laws with tiering restrictions and a la carte prohibitions which prevent the cable companies from competing to offer different packages of channels to cable customers.
- Represented a consulting firm against a large multi-national conglomerate in a multimillion dollar business interference lawsuit involving a military procurement contract. After trial, the parties entered into a confidential settlement agreement.
- Represented a class of music composers and owners of sound recordings against television studios and distributors for failure to pay licensing fees.
- Represented MGA in federal antitrust claim against Mattel alleging monopolization of fashion doll market.
- Representing consulting company for shippers alleging antitrust claims against dominant shipping companies regarding their exclusion of third party consultants.
- Lead day-to-day lawyer in dispute over Bob Marley sound recording rights; after prevailing on appeal at the Ninth Circuit (745 F.3d 343 (9th Cir. 2014)), the parties settled.
- Represented musician over use of likeness in video game and use of song in commercial.
- Successfully negotiated settlement for screenwriter in copyright infringement dispute.
- Defended a major San Francisco tour attraction provider against a competitor's predatory pricing, exclusive dealing, and unfair competition claims.
- Represented a former sponsor of college football bowl games against the National Collegiate Athletic Association alleging price fixing and business interference claims.
University of California at Davis School of Law, Davis, California
J.D., - 2004
Law Review: U.C. Davis Law Review, Articles Editor
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
B.S., magna cum laude - 1998
University of California, Davis
M.S., - 2000
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, 2004
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th [Eleventh] Circuit, 2008
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 2009
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th [Ninth] Circuit, 2009
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, 2014
New York, 2015
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, 2015
State Bar of California, Antitrust, UCL, and Privacy Section, Executive Committee
American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section, Mentor
Association of Business Trial Lawyers (Board of Governors)
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Antitrust and Unfair Business Practices Section, Executive Committee
State Bar of Illinois
Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
Federal Bar Association
2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 Southern California "Super Lawyers" Rising Star